Monday, October 3, 2005

The Return of the Scale Nazi

One thing that I did the whole time I was losing weight the first time was weigh virtually everything. I'm back to that now and curious how much difference it will make. It's the only way I feel absolutely sure about my points though.

Take tonight's dinner. I have stuffed flounder in the oven as I write this. I use a crab cake for the filling. I forget the brand but if anybody wants to know I'll look and tell you. I get 'em at BJ's. I put a piece of flounder (also from BJ's usually) on the bottom of a baking dish sprayed with Pam. Then I put the thawed crab cake on that mushing it up to spread it out nicely. Then I split the other piece of flounder and put it on top so that some of the stuffing shows in the middle. After that it gets a sprinkle of cajun seasoning, as much for color as anything so paprika works well too. Then it gets cooked in a 350 degree oven until its done by my food thermometer. It usually takes about half an hour. Tonight I surrounded it with two servings (for two points) of Simply Potatoes Southwest Hashbrowns.

The only good way to figure points for the flounder is to weigh it. The pieces are not the same size although using the package nutrition is a good second choice. I enter the weight right into Weight Watchers eTools and it gives me the exact points for the exact weight of flounder that I used. I also weighed the Simply potatoes since a serving is 2/3 of a cup or 80 grams for one point. The problem with 2/3 of a cup is it matters how much you mush it down. I can get a LOT more than 80 grams into 2/3 of a cup, that is cheating. Weight is weight though and 80 grams is 80 grams. So I measured out 160 grams giving myself two servings, spread that around the flounder and I was good to go. Now I can't wait until it's done :)

I tend to weigh everything I can because I know I'll cheat if I try to measure it by volume. I may not even cheat intentionally. It is just an inexact way to measure so many things whereas weighing it is fool proof and not that much trouble.

I know I take it to extremes but it's something to consider if you're having trouble losing...maybe you are un-intentionally cheating on portions. It does work the other way too you know, there are some things that you get MORE of by weight than you do by volume depending on how hard you mush them.

Now I guess I'll go see if dinner is ready...I waited too late and let myself get too hungry. Never a good idea. After dinner though I stillhave 9 points left so at least I can have some desert...and maybe a beer or two (light of course) during football.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I got obsessed with the weighing I did my best too - so I am with you on that one.  Personally I don't love fish - but I do buy this frozen Cod thing with a filling that is really low in points and isn't half bad.
Stacy

Anonymous said...

I know fish is good for you and low cal too.... but I don't care for it too much and expecially hate it smelling up the house... but I might try really seasoning it up some and cooking it on the new grill I have.. I like most things better cooked on the grill. It is worth a try.  I agree NEVER let yourself get too hungry.. once that happens I just can't seem to get full.. I try to eat smaller amounts more often., and that has been working.  Sounds like you are getting back in the right frame of mind and zoned back into it seriously.  You will get there!  ILY!

Anonymous said...

Well I love my scale nazi and it definitely works